close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.
Police Department Open House: Open House for the New Police Department Building will be held on June 14th from 3:00 pm to 6:0... read more


What should I do if I have a sewer problem?

  • If a homeowner believes sewer is not working properly, the homeowner should contact the City of Bronson. During business hours 8-5 Monday through Friday, call the City Office (369-7334); if it is after hours, call 911
  • When a sewer problem is reported, the City of Bronson will inspect the main line for any blockages; and, if necessary, will jet the City’s main line.  This may include jetting the line from the cleanout to the main line if possible and accessible.  If the blockage is not found to be within the City’s main line, the homeowner should contact a plumber to check the property owner’s line.
  • If the DPW Director or his designee determines the City’s line is the cause of damage to the homeowner (excluding damage caused by digging in yard, landscape disturbance, etc.), evidence of damage (including written description and photos) should be collected.  The property owner must submit a claim to the City within 45 days of the event.  The City’s property and liability insurance provider will make the final determination as to if there will be compensation for property damage. Damage payments resulting from city-caused back-ups are not automatic, not required by state or local law, and will be at the sole discretion of the City’s insurance provider.  See information below about how to file a claim with the City.  Homeowners should consult their homeowner’s or renter’s insurance agents to discuss policy options and coverage in the case of sewer back-ups.
The following is being provided pursuant to Act 222 of Public Acts of 2001 . Section 19(1) of the Act states in part; "(T)o facilitate compliance with this section, a governmental agency owning or operating a sewage disposal system must make available public information about the provision of notice under this section." 

Making a Backflow Claim to the City:

If you experience an overflow or back up of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, and you feel that you may have a claim for damages as a result of that sewer backup you must file such claim in writing with the City Manager or City Clerk within 45 days after the overflow or back up was discovered or when in the exercise of reasonable diligence the back up or overflow should have been discovered.

Written notice by claimants must contain the information required by Section 19 (2)(c) of the Act or recovery of damages may be prevented.

A claim form stating the information required and a copy of Act 222 of 2001 may be obtained at City Hall or by using the links below:

Claims should be mailed to:
Tricia Rzepka, City Clerk
141 S. Matteson Street
Bronson, MI 49028

Water/Wastewater Contact:

Jerry Rinehart
Utilities Foreman

Water/Wastewater Emergencies:
During business hours 8-5 Monday through Friday, call the City Office at (517)-369-7334; if after hours, call 911. 

Reporting Suspicious Activity:
Our water utility is making every effort to protect the water system from potential security threats.  You, as customers, can also help.  If you see any suspicious activity near the water tower, treatment plant, wells, or fire hydrants, please call 911.